Our business activities, manufacturing policy, and toward the future
Cladding is a type of welding like joint welding. Cladding is to weld the proper welding material selected to the surface of the parent material or the damaged surface of the parent material for surface reformation, according to the requirements for use of the component and wear- resistant /corrosion-resistant characteristics required.
Welding Alloys Japan Ltd. has developed business specializing in surface reforming for about 20 years since our foundation. Our business activities experienced since our foundation are explained below. We would like to expand our surface reforming technologies into wider range of industries.
Our business is related to industries, including electric power (for business and self-generation), cement, steel making, and construction machinery, as of now. In any industry, important components receive periodic maintenance every year for reduction of wear and corrosion.
It is said by some that the approximate maintenance cost for these fields is required for about 7 % of the original cost of the component when purchased new.
Table 1 shows some typical components to be periodically rebuilt with cladding work in these industries.
The table also includes components where cladding is not adopted as of now, but is likely to be adopted in the future.
Some examples of the maintenance methods listed in the table are shown in Picture 1-5.
|Picture 1. The status of work of the boiler panel in workshop|
|Picture 2. Cladding of the boiler panel around the soot blower|
|Picture 3. Cladding of the discharge screw with TRI-S method (triple satisfaction-automatic welding, use of the best suited material, site welding)|
|Picture 4. Rebuilding 2 pieces of rollers in the narrow mill|
|Picture 5. The status of rebuilding the large gyratory crusher with two welding machines|
Policy of manufacturing
We are striving for manufacturing based on the policies below.
- In addition to our current automatic cladding welding technology, we are aiming for fully automated operation of rebuilding components by automating the related constituent technologies (inspection, measurement, grinding, etc.). (It is called Smart Welding®) Also, in order to suggest some WPS (Welding Procedure Specification) and determine the welding method best suited for the component from the PQR (Procedure Qualification Record), it is important to always work on acquisition of new constituent technologies and development of technologies.
In connection with WPS and PQR, the cladding department needs to have a strong policy on quality assurance as a manufacturer’s liability.
The policy represents a philosophy of manufacturing, leading to pursuit of customer satisfaction.
*Smart Welding® acquired trademark registration in January, 2010.
- To explain to users that the suggested method has advantages in cost effectiveness, disclosure of technical information is necessary, and also it is extremely important to accumulate and release the database, including the consumption rate and service life obtained through operation of the machine.
Through inspections during the period of common use, we grasp the characteristics of clad metal executed by us while gaining customer understanding, and accumulate a huge amount of data.
- Observation of the surface condition enables us to learn to find the true cause of the damage.
Especially in the maintenance suddenly required in the installation site, logical judgment based on the damage condition is required. Therefore, the daily endeavor to improve the skills of the welding technicians is essential. As acquisition of “Standard for certification of welding coordination personnel “JISZ3410（ISO14731)/WES8103 is encouraging for them, all of our technicians are required to be WES certified.
- Development of an enterprise and industry cannot be expected without acquisition of human resources. To be a first-rate “manufacturing country”, our country needs to create attractive images of the industry, including creation of a better work environment and development of human resources, in cooperation among industries, government and academia.
Toward the future
Welding technologies are essential constituent technologies for manufacturing industries dealing with metals. Cladding is also an important constituent technology of surface reforming.
However, in Japan, under the influence of the concept of “Scrap and build” in the high economic growth period in Japan, cladding seems to have been accepted as a repair technology for long years.
While in Europe, cladding is placed as a maintenance technology in the same position as joint welding.
Based on such background and the policy of manufacturing described above, we will work on business toward the future with recognition below.
- Development based on the needs is also essential in the future. Without development, there is no growth of enterprises and cladding industry. Development supports nearly perfect manufacturing.
- Cladding is performed in the workshop or on the installation site. Especially, welding work on the installation site is accompanied with a short lead time and danger. More efforts need to be made for constituent technologies, including automation technology, inspection/measurement technology, and monitoring technology, as well as operation before and after welding.
- Efforts to recruit talented young people into this industry needs to be made among industry, government and academia, without depending only on the educational world industry. Also, regardless of the enterprise’s size, an in-house system of developing employees is more demanding than ever. Human resources development is also included in the development.
- When performing maintenance, history of operation/welding works and technical information, etc. are required to be released.
- Cladding technology should be developed into new product development technology as well as repair welding technology. Accordingly, it is important to improve individual’s technology development skills by setting a higher goal and training employees. Under this goal, daily technical tasks are solved. By making it a practice thoroughly, higher qualification (e.g. consultant engineer) can be observed. This will be an encouragement for employees after acquisition of “Standard for certification of welding coordination personnel”.
WA group business activities
Welding Alloys Ltd., founded in 1966 in UK, has thrown into its energy into development /production of flux cored wires and development of their application technologies, in order to be a leader of wear-resistant /corrosion- resistant welding material industry for about 50 years.
Now, Welding Alloys Group (Group company with over 30 subsidiaries, each of which independently develops business worldwide. It covers 150 or more countries and territories.) has about 1200 employees working as specialists across the world, who tackle welding tasks and gain customer satisfaction.
As described above, the Welding Alloys Group manufactures flux cored wires with materials, such as carbon steel, low steel alloy – high steel alloy (including stainless steel), nickel-based alloy and cobalt-based alloy, in diameters ranging from 0.9mm to 5mm.
Additionally, we manufacture custom-designed welding equipment, including semi-automatic wire feeders, fully-automated welding systems with robotic controls, and portable systems for works at site.
We rebuild worn components by providing welding service using our welding wires and fully-automated welding system. Welding Alloys Group calls this welding service Integra Service, and is promoting business development of Integra Service globally.